Friday, September 22, 2017

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

I am so glad to be back with my CMR family! However, I am sad that one of the best summers of my life has ended. Here of some of the highlights.

Towards the middle of summer, I had the opportunity to return to the Florida Keys to do research. I spent a week with Kylie, Randi, Sydney, Sara, and Kara. I loved being part of the actual research process. I chased Parrotfish, which was difficult at first, but it ended up being like a fun, challenging game. I learned how to measure rugosity, use a compass, and drive the boat. The Fourth of July was during my trip and we had so much fun watching the fireworks over the water. We also took a trip to see Key Deer and Key West. I saw so many new species of fish, like the Lionfish and my favorite, Angelfish. That week was one of the best in my life. I can’t wait to go back and continue learning.


Most of my summer was spent working, but not the kind of work that is dreadful and boring, the kind that makes you look forward to Mondays. I had my first real job as an UPIC Orientation Intern for the Animal and Veterinary Sciences department. 
It was rewarding to help the freshman register and be more comfortable about starting college. This job helped me to grow. I am more comfortable with public speaking and I learned the importance of integrity. I hope to have made as much of an impact on the incoming Tigers as they did on me.


Right before school started, my family surprised us with a vacation to Canada. We went to a place called Churchill in Manitoba. It is probably the coolest place I’ve ever been. Churchill is known for Beluga Whales and Polar Bears. Beluga Whales are my favorite marine mammal and I got to kayak beside them! We also saw two Polar Bears swimming, while in a bigger boat thankfully! We met so many great people from all over the world. I hope I get to return to Churchill one day. The trip was amazing, go watch my YouTube video to see it in more detail at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHVFOO_mKE



In between all these fun trips, Reanna, Emily, and I worked on a coral project and I can't wait to share that with you! This project is exciting and shows important data for our reefs!

"Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea, the Lord on high is mighty" -Psalm 93:4

No comments: