Thursday, April 9, 2015

All About That CBASS


      Joining this lab has been one of the greatest learning experiences of my undergraduate career. The opportunities to grow as an individual and as an environmentalist have allowed me to finally understand what my goals can be and my options for success. CBASS, though, is the experience that sticks out the most in my mind. I wasn’t sure how interested I would be in the talks or even if I could present our poster without sounding like I joined the project halfway through the year. Needless to say, I was very surprised when the outcome was just the opposite of that. The talks, no matter how far from the marine field, interested me and the longer I sat in that room, the more sure I became that this was where I belonged. Once it came time for the poster session I was running over my “spiel” a thousand times over in my head. But, when we began our presentation, the facts just flowed like I hoped they would. It also helped that Dan was there to keep me calm and having fun. I suppose our judges were impressed, because they decided we tied with another group for second place. Although this was a surprising and proud moment for our group, it wasn’t what made my CBASS experience exciting. It was the simple fact that I was finally eager about something that I could build a future around.

No comments: