Monday, May 1, 2017

Are you sure I'm graduating?

After 5 years of college, I'm finally graduating in 2 weeks. As I reflect back on my 3 years at Clemson, I think about all the amazing people I've met and all the amazing things that I've gotten to do. One experience really sticks out for me and it's joining the Conservation of Marine Resources Creative Inquiry Team. Clemson doesn't have many marine biology classes or affiliations so finding the CI has been an amazing opportunity. 

With the CI, I was able to go to the field twice. This past time in the field was probably the best though. Over spring break, we were able to take the whole team to the field and show everyone why we love going to the keys. It was so much fun to watch everyone react to seeing everything under water. Probably the coolest part of the trip to was going to collect the coral fragments in key west. Mote Marine Lab donated over 150 corals for the team to transplant over the summer. One of the reasons that the corals were going donated to us is because the nursery was being torn down. Once we got there, we found out that that docks that corals were being kept under was condemned and the gravel area that we were standing on was a sink hole that could blow at any minute. Nevertheless, we collected our baby corals and took them back for transplantation. 

That trip was the perfect ending to my time at Clemson and the experience I gained through creative inquiry was invaluable. Because of the creative inquiry team, I was able to get accepted to a masters program studying Marine biology. I know that when I start my masters, I will be able to use all the knowledge I gained through creative inquiry and I am forever grateful for the experience. 

No comments: